Monday, May 17, 2010

Ugh, setbacks.

SOOO, I was supposed to have a water committee meeting last weekend, and it looked like it was going to happen, until tragedy struck on Friday. My water committee president's son was killed in a car accident on Friday night, and his body was brought back to the community on Saturday. Obviously, we didn't meet, and probably won't meet this week either. So I'm going to try to do some small training sessions and repairs with the plumber of my aqueduct. We'll see how that goes. He's the one person that's kind of resistent to having a gringa help out.

It's been freaking HOT here. I know what you're all thinking, "Isn't it always hot there, Molly?" The answer to that is yes. However, there's hot, and there's HOT. Right now we are experiencing the latter. I'm kind of stuck in the house when it's really hot, because I melt (literally, just like the Wicked Witch of the West sans water) when it's hot like this. I went out to the Embera-Wounaan Comarca to visit a future community with my APCD and my regional leader last week, and that was amazing. The community is really organized and excited to have a volunteer. They seem really pulled together and I just got a really good vibe from them. If it weren't for the 50 chiggers that I pulled of my legs and stomach the next day and the ungodly heat (I had soaked my shirt, bra, jeans, underwear in about 10 minutes), I'd want to move out there. I'm kind of frustrated with the standstill I'm experiencing in my community, so I'm prone to romantacizing other communities. They have problems too, I know. I just thought it was a really great community.

Other than that, I've been hanging out with my neighborhood kids, collecting rainwater (there's a major leak in the system somewhere, so our aqueduct hasn't had water for a week; don't worry though, Mom, we've had plenty of rain!), and plotting ways to engage my community. It's such a wierd thing to feel like I'm not making progress but not actually ever be at a standstill. Very confusing.

That's all for now. Hope everyone is well!

1 comment:

  1. There's hot, and then there is ungodly-you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me-hot. If I only got to experience hot, then I guess I have to say that there is such a thing as too hot. I'm amazed you can sleep at all! Mom

    ReplyDelete