Sunday, April 25, 2010

Back at it!

After a very frustrating few weeks in site (with the exception of Sondra's wonderful and distracting visit!), I made a little progress yesterday. The dirigente (mayor, sort of) of my town came over yesterday to let me know that they were going to have a meeting at 5pm, and what did I want to contribute. I asked what the meeting was about, and he told me that we were going to discuss a fight that had broken out a few nights earlier in front of my neighbor's house (and by extension, my house). The fight was between two men from a neighboring community. One just lost his son, a 14 year old boy, during Semana Santa. (Without giving too many details, the boy was killed in my town by people that had come from the city to celebrate Semana Santa. No one has been arrested, sadly.) The other man was apparently being accused of the death, although he wasn't the perpetrator. I asked Crispulo, my dirigente, how he wanted to address this in the meeting. He said that he wanted to talk about the fight, but I suggested that he talk about what happened during Semana Santa instead, since they're related incidences. He agreed, so we wrote up an agenda, and I added a charla I wanted to give to the end of it. (The agenda was a new format for him, and it was like pulling teeth teaching him to do it. But he did it!)

Anyway, so the meeting rolls around, and we start talking about the first point, what happened during Semana Santa. Immediately someone says, "I didn't want to talk about what happened during Semana Santa, I wanted to talk about the fight the other night. I don't like the way that's written on there. What happened during Semana Santa wasn't our fault." (emphasis ADDED) At this point I interjected. I said, "I wrote that on there, and I did it because these are related incidences. Cause and effect. Furthermore, everyone in the community is responsible for the safety of every child. Not just your own children, but your neighbor's children too. What happened was unacceptable. I feel culpable, and you should as well." It was the first time I'd regaƱared (scolded) my community, but it needed to happen. It was the first time I'd even voiced an opinion in a meeting, but it seemed like they were just going to tackle the effect, not the cause.

After that, I didn't need to say anything else. The community realized the effect that having big, dangerous parties in their town has on their neighbors and decided not to host any more fiestas. I told them, if it's a matter of preserving the cultural aspect of Semana Santa, there are ways to do that without risking anyone's safety. They just decided not to have them anymore, which I think is a good idea, but I didn't say that.

Needless to say, I didn't do my charla, but I did announce that I'm going to do it today at 4pm, and that I expected to see everyone there. Not to be pushy or anything. I'm going to go over my program today and then do an analysis of an environmental health problem with them. We'll see how that goes. I'm optimistic!

Alright, that's all I have to share right now. Hope everyone is well. Love and miss you all!

1 comment: