Wednesday, April 7, 2010

La Lucha (The Fight)

So, here I am again, back in site, trying to get work done. The last week has been a flurry of activity. I finished up a conference and went back to site, where 2 busloads of people from the city had descended upon my town to celebrate Semana Santa (Holy Week) in the time honored Panamanian tradition of drinking themselves into a stupor. Nothing says Happy Easter to me like waking up to a man passed out at the bottom of your stairs from the celebrations the night before. I wonder if he hid a basket for me...

After the crowds left and my community pulled itself together, I started walking around, talking to people and getting a read on interest in various projects. I've been encouraged by my APCD (Assistant Peace Corps Director) to abandon (for the time being) my efforts to get my water committee to function. He made the valid point that I'm exhausting myself trying to do something that they're not ready or interested in doing, and it's only making me angry. So, I'm taking his advice and working with people that I like and that are interested in working on something. Speaking of which, the secretary of the water committee asked me yesterday if I would help him lead a discussion about garbage disposal in the community on Saturday. As many of you already know, garbage disposal is not my main passion, but it's definitely lacking my town. And, hey, if he's interested in doing something with me, I'm happy to oblige. Beats the hell out of nagging people until they're worn down and grudgingly agree to work with you. Plus, he's on the water committee, and if this goes well, he could be my in to getting the water committee pulled together. Like the Panamanians say, I'm here en la lucha (in the fight).

On top of that, I'm going with my counterpart, Isela, to Meteti tomorrow or Friday to formally turn in our letters of request to start a cooperative. There's still a lot of work involved, but I think she's sincerely interested in getting this done. Once again, if they're willing to work, I'm happy to do some leg work. As long as it's shared.

Other than that, I've just been doing my thing. I've somehow, miraculously, managed to not get sick since December (knock on wood), so I'm taking advantage and running with the dog and getting stuff done. Eventually, illness of some kind will incapacitate me. It's only a matter of time...

I also spend long hours reading and contemplating my position here. I noticed in my musings recently that I am almost immune to crazy, outrageous occurances. Things that I would have been outraged or shocked by when I arrived ceased to have the same effect. For example, having a Panamanian man invite me back to his house (presumeably to share a fine wine and discuss the complexities of the global financial crisis or debate the pros and cons of public health care) and then in the same breath tell me that he has not one, but two pregnant girlfriends didn't even phase me. I almost wanted to say, who doesn't? You think you're special?! At any rate, my shock-and-awe-o-meter are pretty much constantly on zero.

Alright. I'm tired and that felt a lot longer than it turned out to be! But, I'm trying to be a better blogger. This is not a natural forum for me, but I'm doing my best.

Til next time!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely update Molly! I'm glad you've been healthy and I hope it continues! I like your note about your shock-o-meter and your "who doesn't" instincts! I mean, right? Miss you. It sounds like you're doing good work down there. I hope its been rewarding. -Jess, the drama of la mexicana

    ReplyDelete