Monday, August 3, 2009

Packing

Who knew that going to a third world country for two years required the purchasing of so much first world stuff? I've bought an (additional) computer, a shockproof, waterproof camera, countless allergy meds, ibuprofin and (because I have middle aged problems) Prilosec, pants, shirts, underwear, bras, socks, hair binders, shoes, luggage, backpacks, flash drives, extra memory cards, and so many other random things. It's pretty unbelievable. Something feels wrong about stocking up on first world pleasures to bring with me to the third world.



Aside from the hemorraging of money, it's really pretty exciting to get ready to go somewhere for two years. One week from this moment, I will be in D.C. preparing to head off to Panama. Right now I'm just trying to soak up the things that I'll miss. I'm enjoying every night that I have left in my bed because I know that I won't find anything quite so plush in Panama. I'm also enjoying television (like the good little All-American kid I am!) and my living room sofa. Have I mentioned air conditioning? And FANS! I'm pretty certain that I'm going to miss both of those things.

I'll also miss my family and friends. But, as I've said before, everyone is welcome to visit! If you can't come and visit, I will certainly keep you updated as much as I can via my blog or e-mail. I don't know how much, if any, internet connection I'll have, but I'll do my best.



There are things that I'm really excited for. I'm looking forward to meeting my fellow volunteers, figuring out exactly how one goes about building a latrine, and figuring out how best to distribute my belongings so I don't go over the 50lbs airline weight limit. I'm pretty confident about all but the third. I'll keep everyone updated!

1 comment: