Friday, August 7, 2009

Um...homework?

I've been trying to complete the homework that I was assigned by the Peace Corps before I go, but I've got to say, I'm a little out of practice with the whole homework thing. I don't remember it being quite this difficult when I was in college. I have to give a five minute presentation on the Environmental Health Status of my community to the other Peace Corps trainees. Five minutes is not a very long time for a presentation, unless you have nothing to say. Then five minutes becomes a 9 month pregnant pause.

Here are some things that I've learned:

1. There are 1,800 dumps in Minnesota alone (wow)
2. More than 1,725 of them are considered to be well maintained and pose no threat of contamination to the nearby environment (phew)
3. The state of Minnesota tests almost 3,000 lakes a year for contamination and toxin levels. Out of over 10,000 lakes. Hm.

Those are just some tidbits for everyone to mull over.

Leaving on Monday. Things to still complete: finish packing, say goodbye to some more folks, spend the afternoon watching Pride and Prejudice with my mom and sister, clean my sheets and bedroom (that one's for you mom ;)

Next time I post, I'll be in D.C. getting ready to go to Panama!

No comments:

Post a Comment